Indian organic carrot, cashew and toasted seed salad
Crunchy, nutty, spicy and delicious! This salad will be a new favourite in your recipe repertoire.
- 250 g British organic carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 eating apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 50 g raisins or sultanas
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil or olive oil
- 50 g plain cashew nuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 30 g mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseed)
- 125 g low fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Coriander or flat leaf parsley, to garnish
Put the grated organic carrots into a salad bowl and add the apple, cucumber and celery with the raisins or sultanas. Stir in the lemon juice and sesame oil or olive oil.
Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the nuts and seeds, stirring them to toast for 3-4 minutes to bring out their flavour. Cool, then add them to the salad bowl and toss them through.
For the dressing, mix together the yogurt and turmeric with a pinch of salt and pepper. Serve with the salad and garnish with coriander or flat leaf parsley.
Cook’s tip: Add some finely shredded kale or cabbage to go towards your 5-a-day intake. Use organic ingredients where possible.
|Per 100g (recipe)||Per serving|
|RI (%) per 100g (recipe)||RI (%) per serving|
|Of which saturates||1g||2.4g||5%||12%|
|Of which Sugars||8.3g||21g||9%||23%|